Another 96 positive tests for Covid-19 have been recorded in North Wales – as it was confirmed two cases of the South African variant of the virus have been discovered in the region.

Figures from Public Health Wales released on Tuesday (February 23) show the death toll for the region stands at 861, unchanged since Sunday.

A total of 32,464 cases of Covid have been reported in the area covered by Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board since the start of the pandemic.

The health board, which accounts for 22 per cent of Wales’ population, is the largest in the country.

Public Health Wales said four additional cases of the South African variant of coronavirus had been discovered in Wales since a previous update on February 17 – bringing the total number to 21.

One – with no known links to contacts or travel – was in Flintshire, with a second in Conwy.

Meanwhile Anglesey remains the local authority with the highest seven-day infection rate in Wales.

Across Wales, another 317 positive tests have been reported, taking the overall total of cases so far to 202,324.

The infection rate across Wales is 78.9 per 100,000 population, based on the seven days up to February 18, a decrease from 80 on Monday.

Anglesey is still the local authority with the highest infection rate in Wales with a seven-day rate of 114.2 cases per 100,000 population, up from 112.8 the day before.

Flintshire is second with 107.6 cases per 100,000 population, down from 109.5 reported previously.

The nationwide death toll now stands at 5,250 following another four fatalities.

A further 6,300 tests have been completed in Wales since yesterday, meaning that 2,660,531 tests have been carried out nationally.

The latest data also shows that 869,653 people have now received a first dose of the coronavirus vaccine. Meanwhile, 49,729 people have now received both doses of the vaccine.

Here is the latest full list of coronavirus cases reported across North Wales:

Betsi Cadwaladr: 96 new cases – total 32,464

Anglesey: 13 new cases – total 1,931

Conwy: 17 new cases – total 3,466

Denbighshire: 13 new cases – total 4,106

Flintshire: 22 new cases – total 9,036

Gwynedd: 20 new cases – total 2,872

Wrexham: 11 new cases – total 11,053

For the rest of the country

Aneurin Bevan: 48 new cases – total 39,919

Cardiff and Vale: 55 new cases – total 32,236

Cwm Taf: 31 new cases – total 39,603

Hywel Dda: 35 new cases 15,365

Powys: 15 new cases – total 3,894

Swansea Bay: 31 new cases – total 27,876

Unknown location: 2 new cases – total 1,814

Dr Giri Shankar, Incident Director for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said: “Public Health Wales is today confirming four additional cases of the South African variant of Coronavirus in Wales since the previous update on 17 February, bringing the total number to 21.

“We have identified a single case of the South African variant as part of routine genomic sequencing in the Flintshire local authority area with no known link to relevant contacts or travel history. The individual was self-isolating while symptomatic, and there is no evidence of wider community transmission. An investigation is ongoing.

“We have identified an additional positive case of the South African variant in the Conwy local authority area. The case has a travel history, and the investigation is ongoing.

“We have identified two additional positive cases in West Wales with a link to relevant contacts. These cases are linked with the travel associated cases we confirmed on 17 February in West Wales.

“There remains no evidence of sustained community transmission of the South African variant in Wales. Anyone who is a contact of theses case will be contacted through the Test, Trace, Protect process and provided with additional advice for themselves, their household and other contacts.

“There is no evidence that the South African variant causes more serious illness, although there is some evidence that it can spread more easily, and that vaccines – although still effective – may not work quite as well against it.

“Because of the emergence of new more transmissible variants, it is even more vital that we all keep to the lockdown restrictions and do not meet other people.

“This means that you must stay at home. If you must leave home keep your distance, wash your hands regularly, and wear a face mask when required according to the regulations.

“Coronavirus rates have fallen in every part of Wales, but remain higher in some parts. We remind the public that we remain under level 4 restrictions to keep infection rates falling.

“Please stay at home, meet only the people you live with, work from home if you can, wear a face covering where required, wash your hands regularly, and stay two metres from anyone you do not live with.

“As primary school children aged three to seven years in foundation phase returned to face-to-face learning this week, we thank parents for their perseverence during the winter.

“We need your continued support to control the spread of Coronavirus, so please do not send your child to school if they are unwell, even if you are not sure if they have Coronavirus. Please continue to work from home if at all possible.

“When you take your child to school, always keep your distance from other parents, wear a face covering, and don’t stay around and chat. Please don’t invite other children or their parents to your home to play or stay, even outdoors, and even if they are in the same bubble at school.

“Make sure your child understands the importance of washing their hands regularly.

“The Welsh Government has also confirmed that from Saturday 20 February, four people from two different households are able to meet outdoors for socially distanced local exercise. Please remember this is solely for the purpose of exercise and that individuals should remain at a social distance, and that this guidance doesn’t apply to private gardens.

The police stopped 2,500 cars in the region last week, one visitor from Wigan was sent packing after saying he wanted to visit Talacre Lighthouse.

Did you know we offer a free email newsletter service?

Each North Wales Live bulletin delivers the latest breaking news, what’s on events and the hottest talking points straight to your inbox.

For more information about how to subscribe click here.

“From March 1, the law will be changed to allow licensed wedding venues, such as visitor attractions and hotels, to re-open but only to perform wedding and civil partnership ceremonies.

“Restrictions on UK and international travel remain in place. More information on current travel guidance is available on the Welsh Government website.

“More than 850,000 people have now received a first does of the safe and effective Coronavirus vaccine. We encourage everyone, whatever their background, socio-demographic and ethnicity, to have the vaccine when they are offered it. We also stress the importance of seeking information from a trusted source such as Public Health Wales, the Welsh Government, local health board or GP.

“If you or a member of your household develop a cough, fever or change in sense of taste or smell, you must self-isolate immediately and book a free Coronavirus test,

Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments section below.

Categories:

Tags:

Comments are closed