The majority of planned operations have been cancelled at a hospital currently at the centre of a coronavirus outbreak.

Most elective surgery appointments have been postponed at Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor this week and next, to ensure capacity is freed up to care for Covid-19 patients at the site.

This week, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board declared that, as of Tuesday morning, 75 patients had tested positive for Covid-19 – 49 of which were linked with the outbreak.

In an update on the situation facing the hospital, Alyson Constantine, acute care site director at Ysbyty Gwynedd, said: “The majority of planned operations are postponed at Ysbyty Gwynedd this week and next week with the exception of some day cases, maternity and paediatrics.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

“Emergency surgery, diagnostic services, oncology and outpatient appointments will continue.

“This decision has been made to enable us to provide extra capacity on site due to the number of people being treated for Covid-19 infection at the hospital.”

She added: “A senior multidisciplinary team is continuing to oversee the management of the outbreak, reviewing the infection prevention measures in place to avoid further transmission.

“Cancelling elective operations is not a decision that we have taken lightly and we would like to apologise for any distress and disappointment this has inevitably caused.

“The safety of our patients and staff is incredibly important and it was necessary to make these difficult decisions to ensure this.

“Please help us to continue to meet demand for care by only attending our emergency departments if you are seriously injured or have a life threatening health condition.

“Visiting remains restricted, except for some limited circumstances, but people should continue to attend appointments unless they are told otherwise.”

All patients affected will be contacted directly by the health board about the postponement of their procedure.

Earlier this week, the health board said five adult wards at the Bangor hospital had been impacted by the coronavirus outbreak.

The police stopped 2,500 cars in the region last week, one visitor from Wigan was sent packing after saying he wanted to visit Talacre Lighthouse.

Did you know we offer a free email newsletter service?

Each North Wales Live bulletin delivers the latest breaking news, what’s on events and the hottest talking points straight to your inbox.

For more information about how to subscribe click here.

All patients who have tested positive as part of the outbreak are being isolated, according to medical chiefs at the hospital.

The health board did not provide updated figures on the numbers of confirmed cases within the hospital site.

  • Anyone with a specific concern has been asked to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Support Service by telephoning 03000 851234 Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm or emailing BCU.PALS@wales.nhs.uk

Have your say on this story by using the comments section below.

Categories:

Tags:

Comments are closed