The Department of Health has today reported one further coronavirus related death.

According to the latest update, the death occurred within the current reporting period and the death toll from the DoH now stands at 2,144.

Wednesday’s dashboard also reports a further 98 positive cases of Covid-19, bringing the total number of positive cases to 119,992 since the start of the pandemic.

Over the past seven days, the Department said 643 individuals have tested positive in Northern Ireland.

There are currently 60 Covid-19 confirmed patients in hospital and eight in intensive care.

Share your views on the easing of restrictions here or below:

Meanwhile, Health Minister Robin Swann has announced a further expansion to the current asymptomatic testing programme for workforces.

All organisations with 10 or more employees or volunteers, who cannot work from home, can now access the workforce asymptomatic testing programme. Previously this was open to organisations with more than 50 employees.

Minister Swann said: “Since the launch of the Northern Ireland asymptomatic testing programme there has been a great deal of interest from employers with 321 expressions of interest made. These have come from organisations and companies in the public, private and third sectors.

“This is a significant move in the testing programme as up to one third of people who have coronavirus are asymptomatic.  My Department is focusing on rapidly identifying these people to isolate and reduce transmission of the virus. This will be essential as Northern Ireland moves out of lockdown.

“The further extension will enable even more organisations to take advantage of this important weapon in the fight against Covid-19.”

For the latest breaking news straight to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter here.

Categories:

Tags:

Comments are closed